Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Cut!

I have been growing out my hair for the last couple years. As many of you know, I have been growing it with the intention of donating it when it was long enough. I don't really enjoy long hair. It takes too long to do anything with it, and I have been working the frizzy ponytail for far too long. This morning I ran out of hot water in the shower because it took so long to wash and then condition my locks. And then it took me about an hour to blowdry and straighten my mane. Stacy and Billy had left me alone for the day, and I had had enough!
I grabbed my scissors and my ruler. I downloaded the donation instructions from the Pantene Beautiful Lengths website. I made sure my ponytails were long enough and I.....
CHOPPED MY HAIR OFF!!!!
Then I stuck my two ponytails in ziploc bags, threw on a hat, and went to a professional at the local mall to fix my hack-job home haircut.
It takes 6 ponytails to make one wig, and because my hair is so thick I will be sending two!
This is the post-professional haircut. Its a bit shorter then I intended, but I got a little crazy with the initial hack-job and left myself a little short patchy spot. I am pretty pleased with my new look, and even more pleased that I was able to donate my hair to this awesome cause. Please read more about it below, and consider making a donation yourself. Although you should probably consider enlisting some help with the cutting!
A real-hair wig allows a woman to look in the mirror and at least see a familiar face while she fights to regain a sense of normalcy in her life. The Canadian Cancer Society is pleased to distribute the Pantene Beautiful Lengths real-hair wigs. While this new program aims to assist as many cancer patients as possible, ultimately the number of free wigs that become available will depend entirely on the number of ponytail donations received.
Go to Make the Cut to find out how you can donate your hair. Creating a real-hair wig takes approximately three to four months, and each wig requires at least six ponytails to make.
As Pantene Beautiful Lengths wigs are created, they are distributed for free through the Canadian Cancer Society’s national network of community offices. Women facing cancer can find out about the availability of a Pantene Beautiful Lengths wig by calling the Canadian Cancer Society at 1 888-939-3333. The Society’s toll free line can also provide callers with access to many resources, including information about cancer and emotional support for those dealing with the disease.
The Canadian Cancer Society is a national community-based organization of volunteers whose mission is to eradicate cancer and to enhance the quality of life of people living with cancer. Visit the Society’s website at www.cancer.ca to learn more about its mission and activities.

8 comments:

Lesley Myrick said...

AAAAAHHHH! I'm so proud of you! That's a whole lotta hair going to a great cause. Plus, you always look adorable with short hair.

Anonymous said...

good job tara! like the new cut :)
..i guess you beat stacy in the blog writing this time!!!
-candace

Anonymous said...

sweet hair cut!! you should've left it with your hack job... looked hott!! the new hair suits you! everyone at my work also agrees that the new hair is good.
~melissa~

Anonymous said...

Tara you are way too funny that is great that you did it but don't you think that maybe you would have thought about it a little more. Or maybe got the hairdresser to cut it in the first place?

- Kelly (you sister)

Stacy said...

Candace my posts are still better. It is quality not quantity.

Carla said...

Congratulations, that's awesome!

Anonymous said...

I love that you cut off all that hair for a good cause! And I like the shorter look too!! Maybe one day I'll do that, but mom won't let me. She said I copied you with the bangs and not to cut off most of my hair yet!!!
~~Your cousin, Ashton~~

Michelle said...

You absolutely ROCK Tara!!! What an awesome thing to do! :D
ps - I linked here from Le's site.
pps - Hi! :)