Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Happy "Chrissy" in Aus

Although we were far away from home this Christmas Tara and I still had a great holiday. We were both able to talk to our families several times and felt like we were part of the celebrations. This is our house on Christmas Eve. We got sooo many cards, thank you to everybody!


We had a very busy couple of days. Christmas Eve service was at 11 so we didn't get home until late. Then it was up early Christmas morning to talk to our families, exchange presents, and get ready for our day on the farm all before 8:30 when our ride was coming to take us to church. The main service in Australia is Christmas morning. The church was packed, and we got to meet many of the visiting family members. After church it was off to the Birtles' (Grace and Terry) farm. Hong came too. She is doing her PhD in Canberra and wasn't able to go home to China for the holidays.





We had a delicious cold lunch. We didn't think there was any way we would be as full as a Turkey dinner but we were wrong. I was so stuffed. Australians are not immune to the charms of the Christmas Popper Crown. Hong thought we were nuts.



I finally got my hands on a piano to play some of my tried and true Christmas carols. I just know my brother is disappointed he missed out on hearing me play this year. I had a hard time remembering the notes but I did manage to get one song out.




What would a farm be without dogs. I was so glad to play with some puppies for the day.


Terry has three miniature ponies as well as lots of cattle. Tara is leading around Christmas it was his birthday. Tara did awesome until Christmas decided he liked the looks of the green grass.




It was too hot (30 degrees!) to go for a hike right after lunch so we waited until late afternoon. Grace and Terry have a huge place with no shortage of great views of the Australian country side.





Terry, Tara and I were gone for 2 1/2 hours. We just kept seeing one great view after another. At one look out we could see the city and parliament house more than 30 km away. And of course what would an Aussie Christmas be without kangaroos. We saw lots of them hoping across the hills.

A huge Thank you to Grace and Terry. They helped to make our Christmas one to remember. We really appreciate their kindness and generosity. We hope everyone at home had a Merry Christmas too.

1 comment:

ashton said...

I would have loved to spend christmas with the kangeroos!

(check out mt blog at www.vmtsashie.blogspot.com)